Carnival needs helpers
FELIXSTOWE Carnival will definitely go ahead this summer - but the organisers today issued a desperate plea for help.The seaside spectacle is the biggest event in the resort's calendar, attracting 30,000 revellers to enjoy the fun, providing a bumper weekend for the town's businesses and shops, and there had been doubts over its future.
FELIXSTOWE Carnival will definitely go ahead this summer - but the organisers today issued a desperate plea for help.
The seaside spectacle is the biggest event in the resort's calendar, attracting 30,000 revellers to enjoy the fun, providing a bumper weekend for the town's businesses and shops, and there had been doubts over its future.
New organisers though have now taken over the event, but they need major sponsorship to ensure it features the top-quality attractions which people expect to see.
Carnival secretary Sandie Doran said: “We would love businesses in the town to join us as partners in putting on the carnival and we really need some major sponsorship, although any help would be welcome at this stage.
You may also want to watch:
“Our aim is to raise as much money for charity as we can, but to do that we need to have attractions which people will enjoy.
“Those activities and entertainments cost a lot of money. Last year it cost more than £27,000 to put on the carnival, including paying for the entertainment, park, sound systems, fireworks, insurance and so on. We need to raise that money now.”
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront
The carnival will take place over the weekend of August 5 and 6.
The committee is working hard to put together a programme of family entertainment, and is also currently organising selection of the carnival queen and sorting details of the route of the big parade with the police.
She added: “It's a major event for Felixstowe and we are determined to keep it going - no-one wants to see it die.
“We are willing to work with any sponsors who come forward to give them as much publicity as possible.”
Last summer's event had the theme Nursery Rhymes and included the procession, fireworks, live bands, fun fair and an air display, with activities centred on Langer Park.
If you would like to help sponsor the carnival, please contact Sandie Doran on 01394 670288.
How do you think Felixstowe Carnival should be financed? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk