Carnival route row

MAJOR changes have been made to the route of Felixstowe Carnival following a series of complaints from disappointed revellers who missed last year's parade.

MAJOR changes have been made to the route of Felixstowe Carnival following a series of complaints from disappointed revellers who missed last year's parade.

Organisers of the resort's premier event – held in association with the Evening Star – have given the procession a complete rethink and believe this summer the cavalcade will be able to be seen and enjoyed by everyone.

Carnival secretary Richard Stewart said the main change would be that the parade would go along the seafront again.

"This is a seaside town and people are right that the parade really should go along the seafront," he said.


You may also want to watch:


"We changed it last year because we had become increasingly concerned at objects being thrown at floats from various areas of Sea Road.

"But we have looked seriously and carefully at the feedback we had from people who had expected it to take that route and missed it because it didn't and so have made some changes for this year which will take it to the seafront again."

Most Read

The carnival committee had admitted it made mistakes last year but is determined to get it right this time around and keep building on the success it has had with the event, which attracts 20,000 visitors to the seaside.

This year the parade will line-up in Colneis Road and not use High Road East at all. It will set off along Colneis Road to the Grove Road roundabout and turn down Beatrice Avenue.

It will then cross the Orwell roundabout – High Road East and West will be closed while it passes – and down Hamilton Road, Crescent, Highfield and Orwell Roads, and Garrison Lane.

It will then revert to its traditional route, turning left into Undercliff Road West and at the leisure centre roundabout go down Sea Road to Manwick Road, where it will disperse.

The event – which has the theme Countries of the World – takes place over the weekend August 6 to 8.

Activities will again be centred on Langer Park, where the entertainment will include four local bands, an Abba tribute band, a Madness/Bad Manners tribute, a Globe of Death stunt show, American wrestling, funfair, and sideshows.

On the seafront there will be an aerobatics display, an air-sea search and rescue demonstration featuring a 22 Squadron Sea King and HM Coastguard, and a display by an RAF Tornado.

Fireworks will be the highlight of Sunday night with experts having identified the council reporting centre as the best possible place to fire them after last year's display was lost behind trees and low cloud.

"We have taken account of the feedback we had from last year and the vast majority of people told us they had a wonderful time," said Mr Stewart.

"So we have tried to build and improve on what we did with a similar timetable and range of activities and we hope it will be enjoyed as much this time."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus