Cash warning for town traders
STOWMARKET traders were today urged to claim a £90,000 cashpot or risk losing it.A scheme that offers to help pay for improvements to shop frontages in the town has so far received a poor take-up.
STOWMARKET traders were today urged to claim a £90,000 cashpot or risk losing it.
A scheme that offers to help pay for improvements to shop frontages in the town has so far received a poor take-up.
To boost interest, the Stowmarket Economic Regeneration Scheme is now offering to pay for three-quarters of the cost of any development. Previously, a 40 per cent cash sum had been on offer.
The idea is to improve the look of the town centre and make it more attractive to tourists, in keeping with a market town.
You may also want to watch:
Patrick Taylor, project architect of the Stowmarket Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme (HERS), said: "Unfortunately the final year is now drawing to a close and unless I'm able to make grant offers before March 31 to allocate the funding, it is likely that up to £90,000 of external funding will be lost to the town.
"Such grants are seen as a way to help local trade in the town by enhancing the attractiveness to shoppers."
- 1 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 3 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 4 Community left heartbroken by loss of mum Jessica
- 5 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 6 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 Suffolk man buys rare Mini built to mark Queen's Silver Jubilee for £10k
- 9 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
The moves are part of a wider effort to freshen up Stowmarket's shopping district as it attempts to claw in new trade.
A report into the future of the town centre has already suggested this scheme could help with these aims. Improving the street furniture is another issue currently under consideration.
What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or join the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk