Cats die after drinking antifreeze

THE RSPCA has issued a warning to pet owners after at least two cats died from drinking antifreeze.

Elliot Furniss

THE RSPCA has issued a warning to pet owners after at least two cats died from drinking antifreeze.

The substance is thought to taste very sweet to cats but just a small amount is potentially lethal and people have been urged to be careful when using antifreeze or disposing or containers.

The alert was sent out after at least two cats in Harleston, near Diss, died in recent weeks with tests showing traces of antifreeze in their systems.

RSPCA inspector Marc Niepold said: “We don't know if these cats have been deliberately poisoned or whether they have just been the unfortunate victims of accidents.

“Many people are unaware of the dangers of antifreeze and, especially at this time of year, fill their cars and may just tip the remainder down a drain or in a gutter.

Most Read

“The public must take care when using it and make sure that none is spilt where animals may have access to it.”

He said signs that a cat may have consumed antifreeze included shaking, vomiting, seizures, drinking more and fast breathing.