Center Parcs blaze cause still unknown
IT COULD be several days before the cause of the devastating blaze at the Center Parcs has been identified.Fire experts were due to be on the scene today painstakingly combing through the wreckage of the holiday complex that was devastated by Thursday's blaze.
IT COULD be several days before the cause of the devastating blaze at the Center Parcs has been identified.
Fire experts were due to be on the scene today painstakingly combing through the wreckage of the holiday complex that was devastated by Thursday's blaze.
Eddie Meelan, divisional officer with Suffolk Fire said: "We don't know how long it will take, but the size of the job means it could be a long time.
"It could be a couple of days or even a week."
You may also want to watch:
As well as fire investigators, forensic experts working for insurance companies are also expected to be on the scene.
So far it is thought the blaze started in the restaurant area of the Central Plaza but the actual cause of the fire is yet to be established.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 5 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
- 10 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
The alarm was raised in the plaza and main restaurant at 10.20am on Thursday morning .
Although the inferno has left the complex a smouldering ruin, none of the 3,500 guests was hurt and bosses praised their staff for their efficient response to the alarm.
Around 200 fire fighters from across East Anglia fought the blaze could have engulfed surrounding forestry areas.
Over the weekend firefighters remained on the site, and fire service spokesman John Hubble, Mid Suffolk area commander, said: "We still have a couple of fire crews here as a precaution. There are still a few little hot spots and we don't want them flaring up again."
Counselling services are being offered to traumatised staff who may be suffering from delayed shock or are unable to cope with what has happened.
The incident has caused the £70 million complex to close for the first since it opened in 1989 but bosses said they are determined to fight back.
A team of architects is already working on site including in-house experts who were involved in the original building of the site.