Charity challenge takes brave teen to new heights!
IPSWICH: She’s just 16 years old but Hannah Sturman is today preparing for a challenge which is set to take her to new heights.
On May 15, the youngster will be venturing to London to abseil down Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital – having been treated by doctors there ten years ago.
When Miss Sturman was born, medics believed that she had a heart murmur, however when doctors from the London-based hospital came to Ipswich it was discovered that she had a Coronary Artery Fistula – an abnormal connection between the heart chamber and the artery.
At the age of five, she was taken to London to undergo an operation to have coils fitted into her artery.
Now the youngster is preparing to abseil down the 450ft high building – and her fundraising efforts have already raised �295 for Evelina Children’s Heart Charity (ECHO).
You may also want to watch:
The Stoke High School pupil said: “I wanted to do something to raise some money for the charity.
“ECHO helped me so much and supported me and my family, and I think it’s great that the charity also offers support to children as they get older.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
“I think people should be more aware of heart problems in children and that is why I decided to do this challenge.”
Proud mum Clare Riddlestone, of Rectory Road, said that she was preparing to be very nervous during the big day.
She said: “She doesn’t let anything get in her way.
“She has always been very passionate and her aim is to make people aware of the extent of heart conditions in children.
“I’m very proud of everything she does but I know that I will be very nervous when I see her all the way up there.”
To donate money to Hannah Sturman’s fundraising cause visit wwwjustgiving.com/Hannah-Sturman
n What is your greatest achievement? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com