Charity Rays of Sunshine helps grant Emma King’s Walt Disney World wish
- Credit: Archant
Sometimes, dreams really do come true.
And thanks to the generosity of a specialist children’s charity that is what happened for 16-year-old Emma King.
The teenager from Ipswich is living in remission for Philadelphia Post Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia, a cancer of the white blood cells which are overproduced in the bone marrow.
Emma was diagnosed with the condition aged just 13 and as a result was put through intensive chemotherapy, meaning several stays in hospital.
However despite what she has been through Emma has never complained about her illness, taking it all in her stride.
You may also want to watch:
Her condition and the vital treatment she needs means Emma and her family are rarely able to go away on holiday.
One dream was to visit Walt Disney World in Florida – a wish that was granted by charity Rays of Sunshine.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
The organisation aims to brighten up the lives of seriously ill children by helping them go on trips or experience activities they otherwise wouldn’t be able to because of the demands of their conditions.
Last month the charity arranged for Emma and her family to visit the famous theme park in America.
Her mum Kathy King said: “I’d just like to thank everyone at Rays of Sunshine for Emma’s wish.
“It has been such a long time since I have seen her as relaxed and happy as I did on our trip to Disney World. We have so many memories and photos that we will cherish forever.
“It has been a long time since we have been able to enjoy a family holiday because of Emma’s illness but on the wish it was like seeing her before her diagnosis.”
Emma spent the week exploring the theme park and was also given the chance to swim with dolphins, another part of her wish granted by Rays of Sunshine.