Chelmondiston: ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ rapist David Lucas jailed for eight years
- Credit: Archant
A 50-year-old rapist described as being a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ character has been jailed for eight years for sex offences on two women.
David Lucas, of Main Road, Chelmondiston, was convicted at Ipswich Crown Court of two rapes, indecent assault on a female, and one count of sexual assault by penetration.
Lucas was also found guilty of common assault.
He had denied the charges, but was convicted after a trial.
During his trial the court heard Lucas sustained scratches to his face and ears as a woman fought him off when he sexually assaulted her.
He had pinned his victim on a bed and used his body weight to hold her down while she grabbed his hair and ears.
When she managed to break free and run into the bathroom Lucas had followed her and forced open the door.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 3 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 4 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 7 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 8 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 9 Caribbean trailer to open soon in town centre
- 10 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
The attack continued in the bedroom and Lucas had put his hand over the woman’s mouth and tried to force her legs open.
As she struggled to get free Lucas tried to undo his trousers and rip off her underwear before she succeeded in pushing him off and phoning the police.
Following the incident Lucas had scratches to his face and ears and the woman had bruising to her arms and thighs.
During Lucas’ trial the jury was told that in 2001 he was jailed for 18 months after admitting two offences of indecently assaulting a schoolgirl.
Prosecutor Riel Karmy-Jones told the court that Lucas had a history of alcohol use and depression, and although he could be “loving and kind” he could suddenly turn and become violent.
“He is something of a Jekyll and Hyde character,” she said.
Ms Karmy-Jones also said Lucas raped another after “swiping” some ornaments off a unit and putting his hands round her throat and squeezing “quite hard”.
After his arrest Lucas answered “no comment” to questions put to him by police officers.