Chemical spill drama at dock
TWENTY-five firefighters were called to Felixstowe Dock today when a barrel of explosive chemicals was knocked over and spilled.The accident happened at Landsdowne Distribution on Parkers Avenue at around 9.
TWENTY-five firefighters were called to Felixstowe Dock today when a barrel of explosive chemicals was knocked over and spilled.
The accident happened at Landsdowne Distribution on Parkers Avenue at around 9.20am and resulted in the evacuation of around 35 members of staff.
Three male members of staff were treated by the ambulance service after inhaling vapours.
Twenty firefighters and a chemical operation support unit attended the scene where the 45 gallon chemical drum was leaking.
You may also want to watch:
The chemical involved was tetrahydrofuran which is both flammable and a risk to health if inhaled. It is believed the chemical, a colourless liquid is used as a commercial solvent.
Should a fire have occurred toxic gases and vapours could have been released.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 7 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Karl Rolfe, Assistant Divisional Officer from Suffolk Fire, said: “Around 25 firefighters attended which is the standard chemical incident response.We shut the site down and evacuated all staff.
“We had to look to make the site safe by evacuation and make the spillage safe by absorbing the chemical into an inert material and putting it in a drum for disposal.
“The vapours are explosive which could have resulted in fire.”
n. Were you caught up in today's drama? Contact The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788.