Woman fined £220 for dropping cigarette butt from car window in Ipswich
A woman has been fined £220 for dropping a cigarette butt from the window her car in Ipswich.
Cheryl Chandler committed the offence in Bishops Hill just before noon on April 30.
Chandler, of Birch Drive, Brantham, near Manningtree, was seen dropping a cigarette butt from her car window by an Ipswich Borough Council waste enforcement officer.
She was sent an £80 fixed penalty notice on April 30, offering a reduced £60 fine if paid within 14 days.
In lieu of a response, the council issued a reminder letter on May 21, followed by a final reminder on June 6.
You may also want to watch:
Chandler was then prosecuted under the Environmental Protection Act and summonsed to Suffolk Magistrates’ Court, in Ipswich, where she failed to attend on Tuesday.
In her absence, borough council prosecutor Nigel Upson proved the case and Chandler was fined £220.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 How developers hope to bring 'important' town centre building back to use
- 3 See the faces of the criminals who have been jailed in Suffolk this week
- 4 New axe-throwing bar with crazy golf and cocktails could be coming to Buttermarket
- 5 Hospital site at St Clement's in Ipswich transformed into homes
- 6 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 7 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 8 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 9 Fisons site owners seeking pre-application advice on fire-hit site
- 10 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
She must also pay £150 in costs and a £30 statutory fee towards victim services.