Woman fined £220 for dropping cigarette butt from car window in Ipswich
A woman has been fined £220 for dropping a cigarette butt from the window her car in Ipswich.
Cheryl Chandler committed the offence in Bishops Hill just before noon on April 30.
Chandler, of Birch Drive, Brantham, near Manningtree, was seen dropping a cigarette butt from her car window by an Ipswich Borough Council waste enforcement officer.
She was sent an £80 fixed penalty notice on April 30, offering a reduced £60 fine if paid within 14 days.
In lieu of a response, the council issued a reminder letter on May 21, followed by a final reminder on June 6.
Chandler was then prosecuted under the Environmental Protection Act and summonsed to Suffolk Magistrates’ Court, in Ipswich, where she failed to attend on Tuesday.
In her absence, borough council prosecutor Nigel Upson proved the case and Chandler was fined £220.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 6 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 7 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 10 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
She must also pay £150 in costs and a £30 statutory fee towards victim services.