Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 9°C

Search

Chicken-lickin' flames

PUBLISHED: 12:58 02 January 2002 | UPDATED: 11:06 03 March 2010

ONLY days after undercooking her chicken for Christmas dinner an Ipswich mother was forced to call the fire brigade when another chicken she was roasting overcooked and set her oven alight.

ONLY days after undercooking her chicken for Christmas dinner an Ipswich mother was forced to call the fire brigade when another chicken she was roasting overcooked and set her oven alight.

Lorraine Parker was on the telephone to her next door neighbour when her smoke alarm started ringing.

She said: "The alarm was going off but I thought it was because it was steamy in the kitchen.

"I opened the door and there were flames everywhere. The oven had just caught alight.

"All I could do was shut the door and get my neighbours."

Miss Parker, 30, of Wherstead Road, had started roasting a chicken earlier in the day with a view to making sandwiches for a New Year's Eve gathering.

Her efforts to cook a roast on Christmas day fell flat when she carved into the chicken to find it still bleeding inside so she had decided to give herself more time to cook the bird this time round.

However, the chicken ended up being very well done.

"I had served up on Christmas day and the chicken was still bleeding," Miss Parker said. "We ended up eating some of my neighbour's chicken.

"This time I thought I would cook it early as I had everyone coming round later but it overcooked.

"Now it's in the garden and the birds are eating it."

Miss Parker was at home with her four-year-old daughter Nalishaa > when the drama unfurled.

She screamed down the phone to her neighbour, Donna Procter, to get help who in turn ran to Miss Parker's other neighbour, Leroy Gormer, who tried to bring the fire under control until the fire service arrived.

"Leroy had the sense to get a wet towel, throw it on the flames and shut the door," Miss Parker said.

"He has helped me so many times. He is my hero.

"All of us in these three houses are always there for each other. We're brilliant neighbours."

When firefighters arrived at the Wherstead Road address it was a matter of minutes until the blaze was fully under control and the damage was limited to the oven.

Miss Parker spent the rest of the day with her neighbours recovering from the shock of the fire and she said that their New Year's Eve celebrations would continue, just without the chicken sandwiches.

"It was a shock to open the door and see the flames," she said. "You just panic.

"I'm still a bit shook up so it's just a case of calming down now."

"After this week I think it's put me off chicken for life," she added.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists