Child protection concerns deepen

BRITAIN'S debate about the state of the nation's child protection provision deepened this afternoon after a double child killing tragedy in Greater Manchester.

BRITAIN'S debate about the state of the nation's child protection provision deepened this afternoon after a double child killing tragedy in Greater Manchester.

Two young brothers allegedly killed by their mother at an address in the city, were known to Manchester City Council child and social service officers, a spokesman said.

The news comes as the council attacked for failing to save the life of Baby P in a high profile child cruelty case this week said today that the youngster's death was a matter of the “deepest sorrow”.

The 17-month old boy died in Harringey in north London in August last year after suffering more than 50 injuries in eight months - despite 60 visits from the authorities.

The 32-year-old boyfriend of Baby P's mother and another man, Jason Owen, 36, were convicted at the Old Bailey on Tuesday of causing or allowing his death.

His 27-year-old mother had already pleaded guilty to the same allegation, which carries a maximum 14-year jail term.

Most Read

All three have been remanded in custody and will be sentenced on December 15.

Children's Secretary Ed Balls has since ordered an inquiry into the child welfare services provided by Haringey Council - the same authority criticised over the death of Victoria Climbie eight years ago.

Today Liz Santry, the authority's cabinet member for children and young people, said it was a “matter of the deepest sorrow that Baby P died in Harringey.”

She added that the council was “devastated” by the youngster's death.