Children safe after flat cooker blaze
TWO young children had to be evacuated after ferocious flames spread from a cooker and threatened to consume an entire first floor flat.The blaze, in Alderlee, a block of flats off Stoke Park Drive, Ipswich, took hold of a cooker and spread rapidly around the kitchen, leaving the ceiling coated in thick black ash.
TWO young children had to be evacuated after ferocious flames spread from a cooker and threatened to consume an entire first floor flat.
The blaze, in Alderlee, a block of flats off Stoke Park Drive, Ipswich, took hold of a cooker and spread rapidly around the kitchen, leaving the ceiling coated in thick black ash.
Sisters Caroline and Donna Tribble were babysitting at the home of their friend, Lisa Hamataj yesterday, when they heard the fire alarms sound.
The sisters immediately investigated the source and then evacuated Miss Hamataj's five-year-old daughter, Lauren Sharpe, and Donna's two-and-a-half-year-old son, Jordan Tribble.
You may also want to watch:
Donna, 22, said: "We just grabbed the two kids and put them outside. Then my sister went back inside to put the fire out. It's lucky she did because it could have burned down the whole flat.
"She's brave but she's always been like that. She never cares about getting hurt herself."
- 1 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 2 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 3 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 4 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 5 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 Community left heartbroken by loss of mum Jessica
- 8 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 Suffolk man buys rare Mini built to mark Queen's Silver Jubilee for £10k
Caroline, 24, used cups of water and a wet towel to put the flames out but suffered a small burn to her arm and had her hair singed.
"It took me quite a while to put it out," she said.
The fire brigade was called to the blaze, which broke out at mid-day, but the flames had already been put out by the time they arrived. Paramedics were also called to the scene and treated Donna and Caroline for smoke inhalation, although neither sister was taken to hospital.
Flat owner, Miss Hamataj, was in town when the drama unfolded and returned home to see the charred remains of her kitchen.
"I'm a bit gutted about it, she said. "It's the first time I've ever had a fire and it's not nice."
Two appliances from Princes Street and one from Colchester Road, Ipswich attended the scene.
n AN elderly woman was today staying with family getting over the shock of a blaze in her Great Cornard home at 5pm yesterday.
Neighbours believe the fire at Cherry Tree Road was caused by a seized immersion heater which caused extensive damage to an airing cupboard in a small bedroom.
Brian Pollard, 66, was out having a meal when he received a phone call alerting him to the blaze in his neighbour's house next door.
From outside the only damage visible today was a blackened window at the upstairs bedroom.
The occupier of the house is believed to be Pauline Mead who is 68 years old.
Although not thought to be injured Mrs Mead is today staying with her son.
Mr Pollard said he was concerned the fire it may have spread to his house but when he returned home shortly afterward the fire was under control.