Chimney fire causes chaos

A DRAMA unfolded in an Ipswich street after a chimney caught fire.

A DRAMA unfolded in an Ipswich street after a chimney caught fire.

A Suffolk Fire and Rescue crew attended the scene in Sherrington Road on Friday night just before 7pm following a call from a resident whose chimney had caught alight. The road was closed for a couple of hours while the incident was dealt with due to concerns about overhanging wires.

It is thought the fire started as the chimney had not been swept for a while.

The resident, who did not wished to be named, said: “I put the fire on because I was cold and fancied a nice warm fire. It went a bit out of control so I put that out but went to check outside and that's when I called the fire brigade. I sweep it myself usually but had not done it for a while.

“I've lost my chimney pot so that might cost me something.”

A turntable ladder was dispatched and the crew used a thermal imaging camera to see the source of the fire before putting it out with a hose. The incident was over at 9.30pm.

Most Read

Have you seen any fires in your local area recently? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter