Chimney fire in Ipswich tonight

A FIRE broke out in the chimney of a property in Ipswich tonight.

A FIRE broke out in the chimney of a property in Ipswich tonight.

The blaze was discovered at a house in Tyler Street at just 6.45pm.

Two fire engines and a turn table ladder were sent to the scene. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera and chimney rods to extinguish the fire by 7.50pm.

Harry Smith, watch manager of red watch, said: “It was a standard chimney fire but the problem was due to the constriction of the chimney. We needed to use the turn table to inspect the chimney and make sure the fire was out and check the loft space. Fire was down to a build up of soot.

“People are burning a lot more fuel at the moment because of the bad weather and the general cost of gas and electricity.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter