Is Christchurch Mansion in Ipswich haunted?
- Credit: Archant
As the spooky season is upon us we head to one of the oldest buildings in Ipswich to hear if staff have seen any ghosts in the Tudor house.
Christchurch Mansion, which was originally called Withipoll House, dates back almost 500 years and has been home to many.
With a history as rich as this residence it isn’t surprising that people have thought they have seen supernatural activity on site.
Alleged sightings include a young woman in Edwardian dress dancing and laughing with two children in the upstairs art gallery. It is thought that she was once a maid who lived and worked in the mansion, she can be seen with her hair piled on top of her head and twirling with the youngsters as if playing ring of roses.
Others speak of a Victorian lady wearing a grey gown who rushes past visitors and then disappears, a young servant girl has also been seen wandering through the grand hallways.
You may also want to watch:
Watch our video above to hear what Carrie Willis, who has worked in the mansion for 14 years, thinks on the supposed ghostly visits at the mansion.
Have you witnessed anything in the mansion? Or perhaps you have a ghost story about somewhere else in Suffolk - if so send an email with your tale here.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub