Christmas countdown starts in Ipswich
CHILDREN across Ipswich are officially starting the countdown to Christmas by gearing up for one of the traditional festive highlights.From Monday, Rudolph and Santa will begin their annual Christmas pilgrimage of local streets, with organisers Ipswich Round Table 240 looking to raise £3,000 for SARS – this year's Evening Star Christmas appeal – and East Anglian Air Ambulance.
CHILDREN across Ipswich are officially starting the countdown to Christmas by gearing up for one of the traditional festive highlights.
From Monday, Rudolph and Santa will begin their annual Christmas pilgrimage of local streets, with organisers Ipswich Round Table 240 looking to raise £3,000 for SARS – this year's Evening Star Christmas appeal – and East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Also being launched on Monday is the Orwell Mencap Olde Tyme Christmas float, which will run from 6pm until 9pm in the Woodbridge Road area of Ipswich.
The two floats, which have both been running in excess of 20 years, are now firmly established on the Christmas calendar.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Smith of the Round Table, said: "It really has become part of the Christmas calendar now and people really look forward to seeing Rudolph and Santa every year.
"People know we are raising money for local charities and they tend to support us accordingly. It's always something to look forward to."
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 8 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
The Ipswich Round Table float will leave Princethorpe Road, Ipswich, at around 6pm on Monday . The month-long parade kicks off by running through the Bixley area of Ipswich.
After leaving Princethorpe Road, the route will take in Chilton Road, Foxhall Road, Heath Lane, Heath Road, Adelaide Road, Brisbane Road, Tasmania Road, Glenavon Road, Melbourne Road, Gleneagles Road, Claverton Way, Chatsworth Drive, Hardwick Close, Bixley Drive, Sandpit Close, Bladen Drive, Broadlands Way, The Pastures, Newby Drive and Glenham Drive.
The Orwell Mencap Olde Tyme Christmas float will leave Lattice Avenue, Ipswich, at around 6pm. The route will then take in Goring Road, Ernleigh Road, Britannia Road, Foxhall Road, Parliament Road, Freehold Road, Henslow Road, Eden Road, Churchill Road, Kemball Street, Bloomfield Road, Howard Street, Woodbridge Road, Milton Street, Couper Street, Crabb Street, Kirby Street, Rushmere Road, Roundwood Road, Bristol Road, Sidegate Lane, Stradbroke Road, Roundwood Road, Felix Road, Schrieber Road and Reading Road.
Please be ready with whatever change you can spare as Rudolph passes your house.
The Star will be following the floats along the way and telling you how much money has been raised each night. The two processions will tour most areas of Ipswich in the run up to Christmas.