Church organ repair bid launched
CHURCH-goers in Capel St Mary are singing a different note as the organ is in dire need of repair.The 150-year-old instrument, made by the famous organ-builder Father Henry Willis, needs £15,000 restoration work after it was spoilt by torrential rain earlier this year.
By Amanda Cresswell
CHURCH-goers in Capel St Mary are singing a different note as the organ is in dire need of repair.
The 150-year-old instrument, made by the famous organ-builder Father Henry Willis, needs £15,000 restoration work after it was spoilt by torrential rain earlier this year.
The rain caused £30,000 worth of damage to the St Mary the Virgin parish church and hall overnight on August 3.
You may also want to watch:
Repairs have been made to the building, but the water also rendered half the organ unusable.
Canon David Curwen said: "Just one night of flooding caused a considerable amount of destruction.
- 1 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 2 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 6 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 7 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Receptionist spent 40 days and nights living in Ipswich animal shelter
- 10 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
"The building was flooded at ground level.
"The water also came through the roof and onto the organ causing internal damage.
"The organ cannot be repaired for another year because of the organ builder's busy schedule, but that is probably helpful because it will give us more time to raise the money."
The internal part of the organ will have to be dismantled, repaired and rebuilt by Ipswich based firm Bishops on Bolton Lane.
Most of the cost is covered by insurance but about £5,000 still needs to be raised.
Meanwhile, only one of the manuals on the organ can be used so replacement instruments also include piano, flute and guitar.
The church hall was flooded in the storms and part of the church floor collapsed.
If you would like to make a donation please send it to Malcolm Fenn Treasurer, c/o The Rectory, Days Road, Capel St Mary, IP9 2LE.