Church organ repair bid launched
CHURCH-goers in Capel St Mary are singing a different note as the organ is in dire need of repair.The 150-year-old instrument, made by the famous organ-builder Father Henry Willis, needs £15,000 restoration work after it was spoilt by torrential rain earlier this year.
By Amanda Cresswell
CHURCH-goers in Capel St Mary are singing a different note as the organ is in dire need of repair.
The 150-year-old instrument, made by the famous organ-builder Father Henry Willis, needs £15,000 restoration work after it was spoilt by torrential rain earlier this year.
The rain caused £30,000 worth of damage to the St Mary the Virgin parish church and hall overnight on August 3.
You may also want to watch:
Repairs have been made to the building, but the water also rendered half the organ unusable.
Canon David Curwen said: "Just one night of flooding caused a considerable amount of destruction.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 8 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
- 9 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
"The building was flooded at ground level.
"The water also came through the roof and onto the organ causing internal damage.
"The organ cannot be repaired for another year because of the organ builder's busy schedule, but that is probably helpful because it will give us more time to raise the money."
The internal part of the organ will have to be dismantled, repaired and rebuilt by Ipswich based firm Bishops on Bolton Lane.
Most of the cost is covered by insurance but about £5,000 still needs to be raised.
Meanwhile, only one of the manuals on the organ can be used so replacement instruments also include piano, flute and guitar.
The church hall was flooded in the storms and part of the church floor collapsed.
If you would like to make a donation please send it to Malcolm Fenn Treasurer, c/o The Rectory, Days Road, Capel St Mary, IP9 2LE.