Church to get thousands for repairs
A SUFFOLK church is set to receive a much-needed cash boost to carry out roof repairs.The church of St Mary in Willisham, near Ipswich, will benefit from a £56,000 grant which will go towards re-roofing the chancel.
A SUFFOLK church is set to receive a much-needed cash boost to carry out roof repairs.
The church of St Mary in Willisham, near Ipswich, will benefit from a £56,000 grant which will go towards re-roofing the chancel.
The award is part of Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage's pledge of £6.6 million for repair grants for 70 Grade II-listed listed places of worship.
Built in 1878, the church of St Mary was designed by Herbert Green, a Norwich architect, who made use of rubble from the earlier medieval church that stood on the site. A font dating from its medieval origins remains inside the church and is still used regularly by the parish. The grant will also be spent on renewal of rainwater goods including below-ground drainage works.
You may also want to watch:
Churchwarden Frances Gilson, speaking on behalf of Willisham Parochial Church Council, said: “We are delighted to be the recipients of this grant. A very small but enthusiastic congregation supports Willisham church and without this invaluable financial support we would be unable to consider undertaking these necessary repairs to our chancel roof.
“We believe that by carrying out this work, we will help to preserve Willisham church for use by future generations.”
- 1 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 4 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 5 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 6 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 9 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 10 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
Is your church desperate for funds? What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org