Cigarettes and cash seized in Ipswich
THREE men are due in court this week following the seizure of cigarettes and cash by customs officers in Ipswich.The suspect haul of more than a quarter of a million cigarettes and £40,000 cash was uncovered at Ipswich Docks by officers in the early hours of Friday morning.
THREE men are due in court this week following the seizure of cigarettes and cash by customs officers in Ipswich.
The suspect haul of more than a quarter of a million cigarettes and £40,000 cash was uncovered at Ipswich Docks by officers in the early hours of Friday morning.
The L&M brand cigarettes were discovered in a white van at Cliff Quay.
Three men from Boston in Lincolnshire were arrested and interviewed and have been charged with smuggling offences.
You may also want to watch:
Christopher Lewis, 41, a forklift driver, of Wheeler Close, Boston, David Harrison, 38, a roofer, of Broadfield Lane, Boston and Andrew Harris, 36, a roofer of Arbella Road, Boston, are all due to appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates on Wednesday.
Following the seizure, customs officers boarded a Russian vessel in the docks and three crew members were arrested and approximately £40,000 in cash was found.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 3 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 6 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 7 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 8 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 9 Man accused of stealing phone from woman in Ipswich street
- 10 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
On Saturday, under the Proceeds of Crime Act, Ipswich Magistrates authorised the detention of the money for up to three months in order for customs to make further enquiries into the matter.
The crew members were interviewed but released without charge.