Cigarettes and cash seized in Ipswich
THREE men are due in court this week following the seizure of cigarettes and cash by customs officers in Ipswich.The suspect haul of more than a quarter of a million cigarettes and £40,000 cash was uncovered at Ipswich Docks by officers in the early hours of Friday morning.
THREE men are due in court this week following the seizure of cigarettes and cash by customs officers in Ipswich.
The suspect haul of more than a quarter of a million cigarettes and £40,000 cash was uncovered at Ipswich Docks by officers in the early hours of Friday morning.
The L&M brand cigarettes were discovered in a white van at Cliff Quay.
Three men from Boston in Lincolnshire were arrested and interviewed and have been charged with smuggling offences.
Christopher Lewis, 41, a forklift driver, of Wheeler Close, Boston, David Harrison, 38, a roofer, of Broadfield Lane, Boston and Andrew Harris, 36, a roofer of Arbella Road, Boston, are all due to appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates on Wednesday.
Following the seizure, customs officers boarded a Russian vessel in the docks and three crew members were arrested and approximately £40,000 in cash was found.
- 1 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 6 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 10 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
On Saturday, under the Proceeds of Crime Act, Ipswich Magistrates authorised the detention of the money for up to three months in order for customs to make further enquiries into the matter.
The crew members were interviewed but released without charge.