Clampdown on pooping pooch owners
FAMILIES have welcomed a crackdown on irresponsible dog owners who let their pooches poop on the streets.It comes after Ipswich Borough Council launched Dog Watch to clamp down on irresponsible dog owners.
FAMILIES have welcomed a crackdown on irresponsible dog owners who let their pooches poop on the streets.
It comes after Ipswich Borough Council launched Dog Watch to clamp down on irresponsible dog owners.
Posters are already in place and a team of officers are patrolling the streets day and night ready to flush out the poopers.
Dog owner Loraine Smith, of Ashcroft Road, 40, said: "I think it is a good idea. People should clear up after their dogs."
Her friend, Denise Airey, 38, of Congreve Road, who is also a dog owner, said: "People who allow their dogs to foul the streets like that gives people like us a bad name.
"You often see dog mess on the streets in the early morning and evening. But I always have a supply of bags with me."
- 1 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 2 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 3 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 4 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 7 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
- 10 Education 'exemplary' at Outstanding Ipswich academy
The Dog Watch scheme involves borough council officers taking action against people who let their dogs foul pavements and parks.
Mike Grimwood, animal welfare manager, in charge of the messy job, said: "Five people have been already been fined in one day.
"Officers have experienced physical threats and verbal abuse but we are dedicated to this campaign.
"One of the first areas targeted was the Elmcroft Road area. Officers are all over Ipswich from 7am to 11pm.
"We speak to responsible owners to give advice and clamp down on dog owners who don't play ball."