Classroom becomes newsroom for pupils
PUPILS from Kesgrave High School spent a day designing their own newspapers.As part of the Evening Star Well Read project 228 Year 9 pupils from Kesgrave High School were set a challenge.
PUPILS from Kesgrave High School spent a day designing their own newspapers.
As part of the Evening Star Well Read project 228 Year 9 pupils from Kesgrave High School were set a challenge.
They had to produce a four-page newspaper, working to a tight deadline.
Their front page "scoop", a dramatic fire, was updated throughout the day as fresh news reports were feed through to the Kesgrave reporters.
You may also want to watch:
Russell Hall, head of English at the school said: "It gives the pupils active learning, genuine collaboration for a real outcome and allows them to express themselves, think positively and creatively for a newsroom.
"This gets them close to understanding the reality of how media texts are created – and it's great fun".
- 1 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 2 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 3 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 8 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
Pupils at the school felt the pressure on them to finish by the deadline.
But every team managed to produce a top quality newspaper – an excellent effort was put in by all the pupils.
It will be difficult to select a winning team to go forward to the next stage of the competition when all those local schools that have taken part in Well Read will visit the Evening Star offices in March for the ultimate newspaper challenge.
For more information about Well Read and other projects designed for use at school please contact Janice Kent at the Evening Star. Telephone 01473 324882 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org