Clean up on major road
DESCRIBED as Suffolk's “shop window”, the busy A14 is to get its very own dedicated squad of cleaners.The two-man team will do nothing else apart from keeping the verges and lay-bys of the A14 spic and span on the stretch through Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury.
DESCRIBED as Suffolk's “shop window”, the busy A14 is to get its very own dedicated squad of cleaners.
The two-man team will do nothing else apart from keeping the verges and lay-bys of the A14 spic and span on the stretch through Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury.
The squad will have its own specially-equipped vehicle and will not be responsible for looking after anything other than the A14.
Until now, a single contractor has been responsible for clearing the verges and lay-bys across the whole of Suffolk.
The A14 team is being set up as part of a new joint waste authority in west Suffolk which will see a merging of the waste and cleaning teams of Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council.
Peter Stevens, St Edmundsbury Borough Council cabinet member for the environment and street scene, said: “Quality of life rests heavily on maintaining a clean, green environment.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 4 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 5 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 8 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 9 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 10 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
“It helps greatly that our two districts are both physically similar and strongly committed to continuous improvement in waste and street scene services.”