Closure beckons for post offices
FIVE Ipswich post offices will definitely be closed, Ipswich MP Chris Mole said today.Post offices in Ruskin Road, Ulster Avenue, Wherstead Road, Barrack Corner, Felixstowe Road and Spring Road were earmarked for closure in February, but people were given a chance to voice their opposition during a consultation period.
FIVE Ipswich post offices will definitely be closed, Ipswich MP Chris Mole said today.
Post offices in Ruskin Road, Ulster Avenue, Wherstead Road, Barrack Corner, Felixstowe Road and Spring Road were earmarked for closure in February, but people were given a chance to voice their opposition during a consultation period.
Despite a flurry of protests from local residents and politicians the Post Office have now announced that they will be closing all five.
This follows the end of the consultation period on April 16.
You may also want to watch:
There is still hope for some Ipswich residents as the Post Office have confirmed they are still considering the future of the Wherstead Road branch.
As revealed in The Evening Star yesterday, the Post Office are still in talks with Post Watch officials over its closure, and the consultation period has been extended until May 4.
- 1 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 2 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 3 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 4 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 5 Will Ipswich betting shop be turned into fish and chip shop?
- 6 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 7 Ipswich traffic measure 'on its way out' as petition launched
- 8 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 9 Plans to close A14 truck stop slammed amid driver shortage
- 10 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
Mr Mole said: "I am deeply, deeply disappointed at the decision to close five post offices in the Ipswich constituency.
"I do, however, welcome the continuing consideration Post Office management are giving to their proposal to close Wherstead Road post office.
"While I assume the Post Office have registered our concerns about Wherstead Road and St John's office closures, there is no doubt these changes will make life more difficult for the many users who collect pensions or benefits from their local post office.
"It is to be regretted that decades of neglect by Post Office management has left a network that is no longer viable.
"I would like to thank all those people in Ipswich who joined our fight to save these post offices by writing in, signing petitions and by letting me know their concerns.
"I passed every single one of their several hundred comments on to the Post Office but it is sad that they were largely unmoved."
nDo you think the Post Office ignored the wishes of its customers? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org