Giant sports park opening delayed again due to Covid crisis
- Credit: Colchester Borough Council
The opening of a new £28.7million sports park off the A12 in Colchester has delayed again due to the coronavirus crisis.
The 76-acre Colchester Northern Gateway Sports Park, off junction 28 of the A12, had been due to open this month, before being put back to Easter after organisers feared it could be “overshadowed by the risk of Covid-19”.
The site boasting a multi-use sports centre, indoor cricket, fitness suite, two all-weather pitches, an archery range and a one-mile floodlit cycle track with six loops will now open on April 26 - subject to virus restrictions.
Theresa Higgins, Colchester Borough Council portfolio holder for commercial services, said: “The Northern Gateway Sports Park is an incredible facility and we cannot wait to welcome each one of you, but we don’t want the opening of Colchester’s newest attraction over-shadowed by the risk of Covid-19.
“Last year we announced that the Sports Park was on track to open Easter 2021, but with the new national lockdown and coronavirus variant there is too much uncertainty for an Easter launch.
“Though all council facilities are Covid-secure, we have taken the decision to reschedule the opening to April 26, should government guidelines allow, with the hope that spring will be a better time for us all.”
You may also want to watch:
The sports park's new state-of-the-art rugby facility will also become the new home of Colchester Rugby Football Club, while there will also been vast green open spaces for people to enjoy - with 500 trees and 31,000 shrubs planted.
- 1 Ipswich visitors fined after 60-mile trip to Sea Palling in Norfolk
- 2 Injured man rescued after 'fall from height' on building site
- 3 Ipswich Town sack manager Paul Lambert
- 4 Blues getting closer to Paul Cook appointment with two former Town players in frame for his coaching staff
- 5 Covid fines more than double in Suffolk during third lockdown
- 6 Seal found with plastic wrapped around neck at beach
- 7 'There is no offer on the table... this is completely separate' - O'Neill on Town takeover reports and manager search
- 8 Man taken to hospital after serious incident in Ipswich
- 9 Covid case rates rising in Ipswich and Colchester
- 10 Air ambulance called after car collides with pedestrian