Search

Colchester players escape injury

PUBLISHED: 08:00 19 December 2001 | UPDATED: 11:04 03 March 2010

THREE Colchester United stars had a lucky escape after the car they were in was written off as they swerved to avoid an accident on the busy M25.

First team goalkeeper Andy Woodman was driving his team-mates, defender Scott Fitzgerald and midfielder Bobby Bowry, to training when the accident happened yesterday morning .

THREE Colchester United stars had a lucky escape after the car they were in was written off as they swerved to avoid an accident on the busy M25.

First team goalkeeper Andy Woodman was driving his team-mates, defender Scott Fitzgerald and midfielder Bobby Bowry, to training when the accident happened yesterday morning .

A lorry in front of them jack-knifed and hit another HGV, causing Mr Woodman to swerve to avoid the crash. His vehicle collided with the central reservation and was written off.

Last night, Colchester United chief executive Marie Partner said it was "fortunate" the players had not been injured in the accident – and praised Mr Woodman's quick-thinking in avoiding the lorries.

Ms Partner said Mr Fitzgerald had phoned the club to inform them of the accident, which happened about a mile away from the Dartford Tunnel exit in south Essex.

She said: "Andy was driving the car and with his quick thinking he managed to avoid going into the back of the lorries and veered away to stop the collision.

"It did mean he then hit the barrier. His car is a total write-off but it is very fortunate none of the players were injured, they were just very shaken up."

None of the three needed hospital treatment, but they missed trained while they waited for the vehicle to be recovered.

The players all live in London and take it in turns to drive to training at the U's ground in Layer Road.

Mr Fitzgerald, 32, Mr Woodman, 30, and Mr Bowry, 30, are expected back at training tomorrow. The team does not train today.

The trio all took part in Colchester's 2-1 victory over Peterborough United at Layer Road at the weekend when Mr Woodman was making his 50th league appearance for the club.

The accident caused delays on the M25 and tailbacks of several miles as the wreckage was cleared.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

An Ipswich-based law firm said it is unlikely the coronavirus stamp duty holiday will be backdated to March, despite a growing campaign. Last week chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that property buyers would pay no stamp duty on homes worth less than £500,000. According to Birketts law firm, this means someone buying a house for £341,091 – the average price of a house in East Anglia – would save £7,054. Now, a national law firm, Simpson Millar, has called on the government to backdate this tax cut to the beginning of lockdown on March 31. Sarah Ryan, head of private client and conveyancing at the firm, said: “We of course welcome the plans announced to freeze the stamp duty costs on any property up to the value of £500,000 which will not only encourage potential buyers to move on and up the proverbial ladder, but will also help to retain jobs in the real estate sector. “However, there is no denying that for some, in particular those individuals, couples and families who have managed to complete on the purchase of their home either during lockdown, or in the immediate aftermath, this will come as a bitter blow.” A petition calling for the government to backdate the holiday even further has gained nearly 10,000 signatures. If the petition reaches 10,000 signatures the government has to respond and if the petition reaches 100,000 then a debate in parliament must be held. But Karl Pocock, partner and head of tax at Birketts, does not think the government is likely to make this move. He said: “Although there are calls for Rishi Sunak to backdate the reduced stamp duty rates to the start of lockdown, the Chancellor’s goal seems to be to galvanise the housing market now. As such, much as a backdated rate cut would be very welcome news for anyone that had completed on a property purchase prior to the change in stamp duty rates, it is, in our view, unlikely. “The various residential property teams at Birketts have seen a surge in transactions as lockdown restrictions were lifted. Much of this activity was existing transactions restarting. However, we expect that the reduction in stamp duty rates will provide a further, sustained, boost to this part of the economy in the short term.”