Community group saves waste site
chelmondiston: Community action has saved a rubbish tip from closure after residents joined forces with a company to run the site.
Parish councils in the Shotley peninsula are working with Collins Skip Hire to keep the site open after it was one of seven earmarked for closure following Suffolk County Council budget cuts.
It will reopen as the Peninsula Community Recycling Centre on Thursday, August 4, after a three-day closure.
Parish Councillor Richard Wrinch said: “We were surprised by the actual costs of dealing with the rubbish we all produce, but were determined to keep a local service running.
“We hope that now we have achieved that, local people will support us by continuing to use the site, even though there will be a small charge, which reflects the true cost of disposal.
“Collins will operate the site on a trial basis, while we seek to understand the community appetite for the new scheme and look at other options for cutting costs and waste.”
This will be the second centre in Suffolk to be run by a group operating outside the county council.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 5 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
Suffolk County Councillor Lisa Chambers, portfolio holder for waste, welcomed the move, saying it would give people better options for dealing with waste.
The tip will be open from 9am to 4.30pm on Mondays, and Thursday to Saturdays, and 10am to 4pm on Sundays.