Community in shock at tragedy
SHOCKED children are being counselled today after a 12-year-old schoolgirl was found hanged at home. Police, who found the body, said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the tragic death.
SHOCKED children are being counselled today after a 12-year-old schoolgirl was found hanged at home.
Tyne McCallam, of Haylings Road, Leiston, was found dead at home on Sunday evening.
News of her death stunned the community, especially pupils and staff at Leiston Middle School, where she had been a pupil since September 1999.
Headteacher Steve Wood issued a statement on behalf of the school.
It said: "We can confirm that one of our pupils died under tragic circumstances this weekend.
"The news has been distressing for everyone at the school, and we are doing everything we can to provide support and comfort for the pupils.
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 8 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 9 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 10 Former camera shop Jessops cited for three flats in Ipswich
"A team of counsellors at the school is working with children to help them come to terms with this devastating news and a special assembly was held on Monday.
"Our thoughts at this terribly sad time are naturally with the family and I offer them my sincerest and heartfelt condolences."
The news has rocked the close-knit community in Leiston.
Tyne lived with her parents David and Debbie and her brother Andrew in a house near the town's main recreation ground.
Police confirmed they had been called to the McCallams' home at 7pm on Sunday evening and found Tyne's body hanging.
They said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding her death, and could not comment on whether a suicide note had been found.
An inquest is due to be opened into her death within the next few days.