Community shop under threat
A COMMUNITY shop is in danger of closing on certain days a week if staff do not get enough volunteers.The Chantry shop in Lavender Hill, Ipswich, serves as a mini centre and second hand store since it opened four and a half years ago.
A COMMUNITY shop is in danger of closing on certain days a week if staff do not get enough volunteers.
The Chantry shop in Lavender Hill, Ipswich, serves as a mini centre and second hand store since it opened four and a half years ago. It also has computers with internet access and offers free courses.
Although the shop has three regular helpers more are needed or staff may have to resort to closing the premises on some days during the week causing loss of vital revenue.
Anxious volunteer Jenny Nightingale, who works at the shop six days a week, is keen that the shop stays open throughout the week so people do not lose out.
You may also want to watch:
She appealed for committed helpers saying: "We need two people in the shop at any one time for safety reasons.
"The shop has all the usual utility bills to pay to keep going. We have had to close on certain days.
- 1 Car crashes into cafe closing Ipswich road
- 2 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
- 3 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 4 Person taken to hospital after collision in Sainsbury's car park in Ipswich
- 5 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 6 New special school planned for former BT site
- 7 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 8 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 9 Rolling road block put in place on A14 after concerns for safety
- 10 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
"If we do that we are not taking more money."
She warned loss of revenue could affect the popular annual subsidised coach trips in the summer to places such as Great Yarmouth, Snetterton Market and Clacton.
Volunteering provides work experience. Telephone Jenny on 01473 – 683680 during opening hours 10am to 3pm.
N What do you think so be done to help community shops survive? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e mail to email@example.com or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk