Copdock: Building under way at ram-raid theft site
COPDOCK: Staff at a firm which was targeted by ram-raiding thieves are celebrating as building work starts on the site.
It has been six months since thieves broke into the building in Copdock Mill, Old London Road, in February, smashing through the side of the building with what police believed to be a Land Rover Defender.
Once inside, they tore a 185kg safe from the ground and made off with it – but not before setting light to the premises and causing more than �250,000 worth of damage.
But today, staff are looking to the future as they continue to fight back following the devastating blaze which tore through the office and staff room of the site.
Andy Morgan, of Copdock Mill, told the Evening Star that after negotiating for many months a new building is on the way.
He said: “After a lot of meetings with the insurers, and various companies tendering for the rebuild we are extremely please work has started on the store.
“The new improved store will not only boast two floors crammed with pet and animal feed and accessories it will also emerge with a new identity.”
- 1 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 2 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 5 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Ukrainian family finally coming to Ipswich after eight-week visa struggle
Next year will mark the 100th year for the Gladwell family at Copdock Mill, and with a new build comes a new name – Gladwells Pet and Country Stores.
It is hoped the store will be open in November and will boast a “fresh new look”, while retaining the family name and reputation.
Police continue to investigate the incident.
n Are you glad to see Copdock Country Stores opening again soon? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or evening email@example.com