Council keeping watch over boy racers
PROBLEM boy racers have returned to an Ipswich car park more than a year after a raft of measures were introduced to drive them away.Ipswich Borough Council said it is “monitoring the situation” after boy racers and car enthusiasts began meeting again at The Village Car Park off West End Road.
PROBLEM boy racers have returned to an Ipswich car park more than a year after a raft of measures were introduced to drive them away.
Ipswich Borough Council said it is “monitoring the situation” after boy racers and car enthusiasts began meeting again at The Village Car Park off West End Road.
Following long-running issues around late-night use of the car park for meeting and racing, the car lovers were moved on.
Changes to the layout of the car park and the addition of an extra CCTV camera seemed to solve the problem.
However council bosses have recently been alerted to the return of the boy racers.
High-powered cars have been spotted in the car park late at night, piles of rubbish have had to be cleared up and a ticket machine was even blown-up with explosive charges earlier this month.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 5 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 8 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
- 9 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 10 Inquest into death of 32-year-old woman in Barham crash postponed
A spokeswoman for Ipswich Borough Council said: “We are aware of the situation and are monitoring it by CCTV.
“We are trying to find out what they are doing and will be taking appropriate action.”
Ipswich Borough Council revealed earlier this year that the clean-up cost each time racers congregated at the car park came to £150.
Hundreds of pounds in damage was also caused when the ticket machine was blown up on September 7.
Have you seen boy racers congregating? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or you can e-mail eveningstarletters@ eveningstar.co.uk.