Council to study baby death
SOCIAL services staff are today preparing to review the circumstances behind a suspicious death of Suffolk baby, who died nine days after being admitted to hospital.
By Tracey Sparling
By TRACEY SPARLING
You may also want to watch:
SOCIAL services staff are today preparing to review the circumstances behind a suspicious death of a Suffolk baby, who died nine days after being admitted to hospital.
The two-month-old boy, from Stowmarket, died in Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 5 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 6 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 7 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 8 New Oasis Lounge bar planned for former Waterfront gym site
- 9 WATCH: Family of wild foxes caught on camera in Ipswich garden
- 10 Man smashed ATM screen at service station after not receiving cash
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council's social care department said the child had not been known to welfare staff, or on its 'at risk' register, but added: "We will have to do a review of the case, and the Area Child Protection Committee is preparing to do that now."
The committee leads the various agencies, including health workers and police, involved with such cases.
A 35-year-old man from Stowmarket was arrested in connection with the matter and has been bailed to report back to Bury St Edmunds Police Station on February 18.
It is understood a post-mortem examination has been carried out on the baby. Police are awaiting further results to assist their investigation.
The alarm was raised after a member of staff reported the suspicious admittance of the baby boy to the hospital on November 12.
Police arrested the man in connection with the incident on November 18. The child died three days later.
A Suffolk police spokesman said: "We can confirm that we are investigating the death of a two-month-old baby who died at Addenbrooke's Hospital on November 21.
"Police were notified of the suspicious circumstance surrounding the admittance of the infant to Addenbrooke's Hospital on November 12 by a staff member.
"A 35-year-old man from Stowmarket has been arrested in connection with this matter.
"He has been released on police bail pending further enquiries and is due back at Bury St Edmunds Police Station on February 18."
A hospital spokesman said: "This is a police matter. It would be inappropriate for us to comment."