Countdown to Press Ball
WITH only a few hours to go preparations are underway for tonight's Evening Star Ipswich and Suffolk press ball.The glittering event, fast becoming a highlight of the Suffolk social calendar, is taking place at the County Hotel in Copdock tonight and hopes to raise £20,000 for Disability Care Enterprise.
WITH only a few hours to go preparations are underway for tonight's Evening Star Ipswich and Suffolk press ball.
The glittering event, fast becoming a highlight of the Suffolk social calendar, is taking place at the County Hotel in Copdock tonight and hopes to raise £20,000 for Disability Care Enterprise.
The charity helps improve the lives of disabled children in the area by providing them with vital specialist equipment.
Carolyne Morey, project director of DCE, said: "We've got so many children that need the money and are waiting to see what's raised. We are aiming to raise £20,000 to help 20 children.
"It's always good fun and everybody enjoys it, and we try to make it different each year. I'm really looking forward to it."
Evening Star editor Nigel Pickover said: "The Press Ball has become part of the Suffolk social scene and it is one of the big events of the year. We are thrilled that with help of British Gas and the AV unit we have raised over £100,000 in previous years.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 4 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 5 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 6 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 7 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 8 Emergency roadworks on busy Ipswich street to fix leaking water main
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station
- 10 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
"We have got a big task tonight of trying to raise £20,000 but I am confident that it will be a great night and we can raise lots of money to help lots of children."
Many local firms have kindly donated 'lots' for the auction which will take place during the evening. For the full list of the prestigious items on offer see page 16.