Couple escape house fire
AN elderly Nacton couple had a lucky escape after an electrical fault caused some of their floorboards to catch fire.Bob Jacobs, 77, and his wife Ivy, 78, of Church Road, were forced back by thick smoke when they entered their lounge at around 7am yesterday.
AN elderly Nacton couple had a lucky escape after an electrical fault caused some of their floorboards to catch fire.
Bob Jacobs, 77, and his wife Ivy, 78, of Church Road, were forced back by thick smoke when they entered their lounge at around 7am yesterday.
Two fire engines, one from Princes Street and another from Colchester Road, Ipswich, attended the fire, which was brought under control by around 8am.
Mr Jacobs said: "It must have been heating up in the night and then caught fire because when my wife came in the room this morning it was full of smoke.
"I did go in to try and switch the electric off but I couldn't stand the smoke. There was still a bit of a flame when I went in."
Most of the furniture in the room suffered smoke damage.
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 5 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 6 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 7 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 8 24-year-old man banned from driving for three years
- 9 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 10 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
Mr Jacobs was full of praise for the work of the firefighters and said: "I can't speak highly enough for those blokes, they really are fantastic."
The couple were today making plans to have smoke detectors installed in their property after advice from the fire service.