Couple escape house fire
AN elderly Nacton couple had a lucky escape after an electrical fault caused some of their floorboards to catch fire.Bob Jacobs, 77, and his wife Ivy, 78, of Church Road, were forced back by thick smoke when they entered their lounge at around 7am yesterday.
AN elderly Nacton couple had a lucky escape after an electrical fault caused some of their floorboards to catch fire.
Bob Jacobs, 77, and his wife Ivy, 78, of Church Road, were forced back by thick smoke when they entered their lounge at around 7am yesterday.
Two fire engines, one from Princes Street and another from Colchester Road, Ipswich, attended the fire, which was brought under control by around 8am.
Mr Jacobs said: "It must have been heating up in the night and then caught fire because when my wife came in the room this morning it was full of smoke.
You may also want to watch:
"I did go in to try and switch the electric off but I couldn't stand the smoke. There was still a bit of a flame when I went in."
Most of the furniture in the room suffered smoke damage.
- 1 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 2 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 3 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 4 Police find cannabis growing by the side of A14
- 5 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 6 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 7 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 8 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 9 'I want to train as HGV driver but there are so many delays'
- 10 New Starbucks coffee shop planned for Ipswich town centre
Mr Jacobs was full of praise for the work of the firefighters and said: "I can't speak highly enough for those blokes, they really are fantastic."
The couple were today making plans to have smoke detectors installed in their property after advice from the fire service.