Couple's shock at hitting brick wall
AN elderly couple was left shocked after their car, which was destined to be handed over to their granddaughter, smashed into a brick wall.
IPSWICH: An elderly couple was left shocked after their car, which was destined to be handed over to their granddaughter, smashed into a brick wall.
Derek and Jane Bray were driving along Bramford Road when the traffic began to build up - the next thing they knew they were half way through the front garden of a property.
Emergency services were called to the incident, which took place near the Red Lion pub, on Bramford Road, after the car smashed through a bus stop and ploughed into a wall.
The couple were in their green Citroen Xantia heading to their home in Claydon, before the car left the road just before 10.30am.
A shocked and worried Mr Bray, 77, said: “We were driving along and I went to hit the brakes and I missed and hit the accelerator instead. It all happened very quickly. It's a bit embarrassing but it's just horrible because of all the ramifications that follow.”
The East of England Ambulance Service was called to the incident and assessed the couple - although no one was conveyed to hospital.
- 1 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 2 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 3 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Six police cars at scene of bungalow fire
- 6 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 9 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
Mrs Bray, 76, later told The Evening Star that she didn't even realize that they had mounted the kerb.
She said: “We were just leaving town because we'd gone to get some money out to buy a new car. We were planning to give this car to our granddaughter, but I guess that won't be happening now.
“I didn't even realize what had happened - all I saw was Derek's arm come across me - so I wasn't scared or anything.”
Have you ever experienced anything like this? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org