Couple tell how they saved daughter

A FRIGHTENED couple today told how they saved their daughter by dropping her into a friend's arms after an arson attack on their home.The parents and their 15-month-old baby escaped with their lives when the blaze ripped through their two-storey home after the fire raisers struck early yesterday.

A FRIGHTENED couple today told how they saved their daughter by dropping her into a friend's arms after an arson attack on their home.

The parents and their 15-month-old baby escaped with their lives when the blaze ripped through their two-storey home after the fire raisers struck early yesterday.

The house was one of two homes in Melford Road, Sudbury, thought to have been targeted by arsonists.

Garry Fayers, and his partner Chantelle Le Poidevin, both 22, saved daughter Courtney by dropping her 15ft from a first-floor window into the hands of Mark Pracey.

Mr Pracey then helped the couple scramble to safety as the fire ravaged the property leaving them homeless and destroying all their belongings.

Mr Fayers said; "I am so angry that somebody could not only put our lives, but our young daughter's life at risk like that. We are very lucky to still be here today."

Most Read

The couple were in bed when they heard strange noises at around 12.30am yesterday. When Mr Fayers opened his bedroom door he was forced back by powerful black billowing smoke.

As the couple stood stranded in their bedroom they realised Courtney was in another bedroom, sleeping in her cot.

Mr Fayers then battled his way through the acrid smoke and darkness and managed to feel his way to where his daughter was sleeping.

He then dangled her out of a rear window to allow her to get some air before making a dash back to his partner, as smoke filled their lungs.

Once back in the front bedroom the couple went to a window and screamed for help and called the emergency services. They also called Mr Fayer's sister Tracy who arrived within minutes with her boyfriend Mr Pracey, who persuaded the couple to drop the baby to him. He then climbed on top of a washing machine outside the property and helped the couple to safety.

Miss Le Poidevin and Courtney were treated for smoke inhalation at the West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds.

Mr Fayers said: "We are so grateful to Mark. He has done me a lot of favours over the years, but this one tops the lot. I don't think we would have got out without him."

Mr Pracey, 24, said: "I just did what anybody else would have done in the same circumstances. I just acted automatically and I am glad they all got out in one piece."

Up to 18 firefighters from Sudbury and Long Melford tackled the fire.

A Suffolk police spokesman said: "We can confirm that at the moment the incidents are being treated as arson and we are appealing for anyone with any information to contact us immediately."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter