Cousins could face jail over brawl

TWO cousins have been warned they face jail after admitting their part in a mass brawl in Felixstowe.Ipswich Crown Court heard that James and Andrew Ward were among more than 20 men and women involved in a fight with eight Lithuanians.

TWO cousins have been warned they face jail after admitting their part in a mass brawl in Felixstowe.

Ipswich Crown Court heard that James and Andrew Ward were among more than 20 men and women involved in a fight with eight Lithuanians.

Two of the Lithuanians were bound over to keep the piece.

The court heard that the mob of Felixstowe youths “taunted, threatened and attacked” the European nationals because they begrudged the fact they were working in the seaside town.


You may also want to watch:


The two groups were viewed on CCTV throughout the afternoon of April 16 last year. The English group were said to show a more aggressive demeanour than the Lithuanians.

Later in the day the Lithuanian men armed with metal poles confronted the mob which had gathered outside their Holland Road home.

Most Read

Neil Macauley, prosecuting, said punches were exchanged and missiles, including bricks, were thrown.

Both Andrew Ward, 19, of Valley Walk, Felixstowe and James Ward, 22, of Gayfer Avenue, Kesgrave pleaded guilty to committing violent disorder.

Judge David Goodin told the pair that the prospect of custody remained very much a reality.

Both men were released from court on conditional bail. Pre sentence reports were ordered.

The men are due to be sentenced on August 28 along with another co-defendant Neil Dugdale.

Six others who pleaded guilty to violent disorder received sentences ranging from a curfew and supervision order for a 16-year-old to 30 weeks in prison for Benjamin Vincent who admitted throwing bricks.

Two of the Lithuanian men also appeared in court. Litauras Barusevicius, 27 and Rolandas Prancevicius, 33, both of Wherstead Road, Ipswich, both denied violent disorder and said they acted in self-defence.

Prosecting, Neil Macauley said the Crown Prosecution Service was offering no evidence in relation to the two men and they were bound over by Judge Goodin to keep the peace for 12 months or pay £300.

Judge Goodin told the men: “I have not heard any evidence in this case but I have read the papers detailing the evidence and I've had the advantage over the course of last year and this to see other cases centred on this disturbance as they have come through the courts.

“There is little doubt in my mind that you and your fellow Lithuanians were tormented, threatened, attacked and tested rather beyond the tether of most males.

“Having said that it may well be the case that you and perhaps other members of your group responded to the onslaught upon you rather more swiftly and readily than might have been desirable.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter