Crash victim dies yards from hospital
ALL attempts to save the life of a motorcyclist, after he smashed into a road sign just yards from Ipswich Hospital, were in vain.The male, thought to be aged around 30 was pronounced dead at the scene after the accident on Heath Road, just outside the hospital, yesterday.
By Victoria Knowles
ALL attempts to save the life of a motorcyclist, after he smashed into a road sign just yards from Ipswich Hospital, were in vain.
The male, thought to be aged around 30 was pronounced dead at the scene after the accident on Heath Road, just outside the hospital, yesterday.
Police have not yet named the victim, but Inspector Mike Hinshelwood have said the man was local to the area.
The sign was hit with such force that it was uprooted from its concrete footings as a result of the impact, which happened at 2.45pm yesterday.
Police officers attended the scene and part of Heath Road was closed off for nearly three hours, but access remained possible to the hospital.
- 1 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 70 Kesgrave houses switch on for Festive Light Trail
- 5 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 6 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 7 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
- 8 Suffolk set to be battered by strong winds as weather warning issued
- 9 Pair deny involvement in amphetamine and cannabis dealing
- 10 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
It is thought the Suzuki motorbike also hit a curb before ploughing into the sign. The bike ended up 25 metres away, lying on the central reservation.
Traffic police are today investigating the crash, and the bike was taken away to be examined.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact Pc Phil Barrett on 01473 613730.
Less than an hour earlier, at 1.50pm, emergency services were called to another accident on Hadleigh Road, just outside the Kitchener pub.
A car and motorcycle had collided and the 20-year-old male motorcyclist was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
His injuries were not thought to be serious.