Crash victim dies yards from hospital
ALL attempts to save the life of a motorcyclist, after he smashed into a road sign just yards from Ipswich Hospital, were in vain.The male, thought to be aged around 30 was pronounced dead at the scene after the accident on Heath Road, just outside the hospital, yesterday.
By Victoria Knowles
ALL attempts to save the life of a motorcyclist, after he smashed into a road sign just yards from Ipswich Hospital, were in vain.
The male, thought to be aged around 30 was pronounced dead at the scene after the accident on Heath Road, just outside the hospital, yesterday.
Police have not yet named the victim, but Inspector Mike Hinshelwood have said the man was local to the area.
You may also want to watch:
The sign was hit with such force that it was uprooted from its concrete footings as a result of the impact, which happened at 2.45pm yesterday.
Police officers attended the scene and part of Heath Road was closed off for nearly three hours, but access remained possible to the hospital.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 8 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
- 9 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
It is thought the Suzuki motorbike also hit a curb before ploughing into the sign. The bike ended up 25 metres away, lying on the central reservation.
Traffic police are today investigating the crash, and the bike was taken away to be examined.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact Pc Phil Barrett on 01473 613730.
Less than an hour earlier, at 1.50pm, emergency services were called to another accident on Hadleigh Road, just outside the Kitchener pub.
A car and motorcycle had collided and the 20-year-old male motorcyclist was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
His injuries were not thought to be serious.