Crash victim dies yards from hospital
ALL attempts to save the life of a motorcyclist, after he smashed into a road sign just yards from Ipswich Hospital, were in vain.The male, thought to be aged around 30 was pronounced dead at the scene after the accident on Heath Road, just outside the hospital, yesterday.
By Victoria Knowles
ALL attempts to save the life of a motorcyclist, after he smashed into a road sign just yards from Ipswich Hospital, were in vain.
The male, thought to be aged around 30 was pronounced dead at the scene after the accident on Heath Road, just outside the hospital, yesterday.
Police have not yet named the victim, but Inspector Mike Hinshelwood have said the man was local to the area.
You may also want to watch:
The sign was hit with such force that it was uprooted from its concrete footings as a result of the impact, which happened at 2.45pm yesterday.
Police officers attended the scene and part of Heath Road was closed off for nearly three hours, but access remained possible to the hospital.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 5 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 6 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 7 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 8 New Oasis Lounge bar planned for former Waterfront gym site
- 9 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 10 WATCH: Family of wild foxes caught on camera in Ipswich garden
It is thought the Suzuki motorbike also hit a curb before ploughing into the sign. The bike ended up 25 metres away, lying on the central reservation.
Traffic police are today investigating the crash, and the bike was taken away to be examined.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact Pc Phil Barrett on 01473 613730.
Less than an hour earlier, at 1.50pm, emergency services were called to another accident on Hadleigh Road, just outside the Kitchener pub.
A car and motorcycle had collided and the 20-year-old male motorcyclist was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
His injuries were not thought to be serious.