Crash victim named
THE latest victim of Suffolk roads was today named as Melonie Naylor from Bury St Edmunds.As the Star revealed earlier today, the doctor who tried in vain to resuscitate her told of the carnage he witnessed when he arrived at the scene at the busy Ixworth/Bardwell junction on the A1088 just outside Bury St Edmunds, at around 5.
By Tracey Sparling
THE latest victim of Suffolk roads was today named as Melonie Naylor from Bury St Edmunds.
As the Star revealed earlier today, the doctor who tried in vain to resuscitate her told of the carnage he witnessed when he arrived at the scene at the busy Ixworth/Bardwell junction on the A1088 just outside Bury St Edmunds, at around 5.45pm yesterday. .
Dr Andy Mason of the Suffolk Accident Rescue Service and paramedics from the ambulance service were unable to save Ms Naylor, 37, of Vinery Road.
You may also want to watch:
She was killed almost instantly when the space cruiser vehicle she was driving was in a collision with a 38-ton articulated lorry.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said her blue Toyota Space Cruiser was in collision with the white Mercedes lorry side-on.
- 1 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 2 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 3 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 4 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 5 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Man to be sentenced over 'dine and dash' spree
- 7 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 Pair in court following suspected stolen dogs raid at West Meadows
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
Dr Mason said: "It appeared that during the collision, the lorry hit the Toyota on the driver's side, broadside, and pushed it down the road for about 30 metres.
"There was also a minor fire in the Toyota which firefighters extinguished.
"We did attempt resuscitation but unfortunately that was unsuccessful."
Three ambulances and the air ambulance were called to the scene, but nobody was conveyed to hospital.
The driver of the lorry, who is believed to come from the Barnsley area, is said to be in shock, but was not injuried.
Sergeant Martin Barnes-Smith of the Bury St Edmunds traffic unit said at the scene: "The Space Cruiser was coming out of Ixworth and was travelling towards Bardwell.
"As it came across the junction the articulated lorry was travelling towards Thetford along the A1088."
Motorists faced diversions around the scene of the accident as the road was closed for around four hours.
Suffolk Police are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the accident to contact them by calling 01473 613500.