Search

Crews urge fire safety at Easter

PUBLISHED: 14:24 30 March 2002 | UPDATED: 11:38 03 March 2010

AS EASTER got underway with traditional chores such as DIY, firefighters took advantage of the crowds at a Suffolk store to drive home the message of fire safety.

AS EASTER got underway with traditional chores such as DIY, firefighters took advantage of the crowds at a Suffolk store to drive home the message of fire safety.

Eight crew members from Green Watch based at Colchester Road, Ipswich were on hand at the town's B&Q store yesterday to offer advice on fire safety in the home, kitchen and garden.

Topics ranged from taking the 'ouch' out of barbecues, to how best to handle gas cylinders used in the home and the importance of buying and maintaining smoke detectors.

Demonstrations took place every hour and leaflets were handed out.

Sub officer Simon Little said the initiative was part of the force's new role of fire safety in the community.

"The real message today is to try to get people to make their homes safer places," he said.

Martyn Thorpe, community fire safety officer, said: "Fires associated with DIY range from accidents with blow torches to electrical equipment which has been stored in a damp garage or shed over winter.

"We would urge people to think twice before they do any DIY and be more aware of potential fire hazards. We can offer expert advice and modern DIY superstores can also offer guidance."

Safety hints given included turning electrical tools off at the mains if you have to check or repair them.

Never use multi-way adaptors when working with high amp tools and always uncoil electrical extension cables fully as they can overheat.

And when working with adhesives and flammable liquids make sure you use in well ventilated rooms.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star