Husband who shot and killed wife handed hospital order ahead of sentence
- Credit: Archant
A judge has imposed an interim hospital order on a gun dealer who fatally shot his solicitor wife at their Suffolk farmhouse.
Peter Hartshorne-Jones, 52, was charged with murder after his wife was found shot inside their family home at The Green, Barham, on the morning of Sunday, May 3.
Hartshorne-Jones denied murdering his 41-year-old wife Silke but admitted manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility at a hearing in September.
Mrs Hartshorne-Jones was found on the floor upstairs, with two gunshot wounds, after police were called by her husband at 4.45am.
She was taken to Ipswich Hospital but died a short time later at 6.42am.
A post mortem examination confirmed her death was the result of two gunshot wounds.
Hartshorne-Jones was said to have a recurrent depressive disorder and had psychotic symptoms at the time of the shooting.
At Ipswich Crown Court on Wednesday, Judge Martyn Levett imposed a Section 38 interim hospital order for 12 weeks ahead of sentencing.
- 1 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 2 'Extremely unsafe' – drivers mount paths to avoid Ipswich road closures
- 3 200-year-old family funfair returns to Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich candle company 'flourishes' with expansion to 10,000sq ft warehouse
- 5 Man allegedly made racially aggravated comment to shop worker
- 6 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 7 Nine men enter pleas to money laundering allegations
- 8 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 9 What is Ipswich's favourite takeaway?
- 10 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
A further hearing will take place on June 23.