Drugs warning after Ipswich woman seriously ill and man dies at festival
Police have issued a warning about drugs after an Ipswich woman fell seriously ill and another man died at a festival.
South Yorkshire Police were called to Sheffield Bassfest yesterday evening, July 17, to reports that a man had been taken seriously ill at the event.
The man, aged 20, from Holmfirth in West Yorkshire, was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
A 23-year-old woman from Ipswich was also taken ill at the event and taken to hospital where she remains in a serious but stable condition.
Police say investigators are aware that several other people also presented to medical staff are becoming ill with symptoms consistent with having taken drugs.
Officers issued a warning to the public, encouraging anyone who attended the event, or knows someone who did, to check in on each other and to seek medical attention if they feel unwell.
Enquiries are now underway to understand the circumstances which led to the man’s death, and the further members of the public being taken ill.
- 1 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Investigations ongoing into 'inter-gang disputes' in town
- 4 Tributes paid to Ipswich man who could 'make magic happen'
- 5 Strong interest expected as 'prime' town centre shop unit hits market with price tag of more than £1m
- 6 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
- 7 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 8 Convicted murderer released on temporary license arrested in Ipswich
- 9 Meeting to discuss traffic calming measures after community concerns
- 10 21-year-old man drowned on hottest day of the year, inquest hears
Anyone with information which may assist officers enquiries is asked to call 101, quoting incident number 993 of 18 July, or report online using our online reporting portal or online chat function.