Jury to continue deliberations over Kesgrave shooting
- Credit: Archant
The jury in the trial of a teenage boy accused of attempted murder after shooting a friend in the face with a shotgun in Kesgrave are set to continue their deliberations today after being sent home yesterday afternoon.
Judge Martyn Levett finished his summing up of the case at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday morning and then asked the jury to retire to start its deliberations shortly after 1pm.
The jury returned to court at 4.30pm and was sent home for the day with instructions to return to court at 9.45am today.
During his summing up on Monday Judge Levett told jurors they would have to decide if a plan to shoot the victim, which the court had heard about during the month long trial, was real or whether it was a “ schoolboy fantasy or a joke.”
The defendant, who was 15 at the time of the shooting but is now 16 cannot be named because of his age.
He has denied attempted murder, possession of a shotgun with intent to endanger life, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possessing a shotgun with intent to cause fear of violence against a man who witnessed the incident.
The jury has been told that he has admitted possessing a shotgun with intent to cause the victim of the shooting fear of violence.
During the trial it has been alleged that the teenager drove his father's car to Friends Walk in Kesgrave on September 7 last year and shot the other boy in the face at close range.
The victim, who was also aged 15 at the time, was on his way to school in Kesgrave on the first day of term and suffered life-changing injuries.
Giving evidence during the trial the defendant said his intention had not been to shoot the other boy in the face, kill him, or do him really serious harm, but to "scare" him.
He previously told the court that bullying by the other boy had damaged his self confidence and left him feeling upset and humiliated.