Man charged with Ipswich murder appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A 40-year-old man who was charged with murder after a person died at an Ipswich guest house died has been remanded in custody.
Before Ipswich Crown Court on Monday (July 12) was Warren Atkinson, of Norwich Road, Ipswich, who is charged with murder on July 9.
Emergency services were called to Norwich Road just before 5pm on Friday following reports of an assault at Beaumont Guest House.
The victim, who was in his 30s, was treated at the scene but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Prosecutor John Caudle told the court that a preliminary post-mortem examination had found he died after suffering head injuries and a fractured larynx.
Atkinson was arrested at the scene of the incident on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
He was subsequently further arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to Martlesham police investigation centre.
Judge Martyn Levett remanded Atkinson in custody and adjourned the case for a further case management hearing on October 11, when he is expected to enter a plea to the murder charge.
A provisional date for a trial, which could last up to three weeks, was booked for February 28 or March 7.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 6 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 7 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
- 8 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
No application for bail was made by Atkinson’s barrister, Christopher Paxton QC.