Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 40s has been taken to hospital after being stabbed at a multi-storey car park in Bury St Edmunds.
Emergency services were called to Parkway car park in the town centre just before 2.30pm today, Monday, July 4.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: "Officers were called to reports that a man had been stabbed in Bury St Edmunds at the multi-storey car park.
"A man was taken to West Suffolk Hospital by ambulance with stab wounds, but the severity of any injuries are not clear at this stage.
"The car park has been closed by police and there is a scene in place whilst investigations take place.
"Officers understand the challenges people will face being unable to access their vehicles and are working hard to resolve this issue as soon as possible."
No arrests have been made and investigations are continuing the spokesman confirmed.
- 1 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 2 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 3 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 4 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 6 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 7 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 8 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 9 Line-up announced for Ipswich library's music event
- 10 Travel: Our night at boutique hotel with rooftop bar and incredible views
Around seven police cars have been spotted at the scene of the incident.
A crowd of around 60 people, including workmen and visitors to Bury, are congregating opposite the multi-storey car park, waiting for news regarding if they are able to retrieve their vehicles from inside.
Many people among the crowd have been waiting for more than an hour already.
People were allowed to enter the car park to reach their cars by about 5.30pm.
Bury St Edmunds Town Council mayor, Peter Thompson said local people should not be scared to carry on their daily business in the town centre.
Mr Thompson said: "People who are going about their daily business really have nothing to fear.
"Bury St Edmunds is still one of the safest places in the UK to live and enjoy life, and I would urge citizens to go about their daily business.
"Incidents of this nature are usually specifically between people who know each other, and the wider public really have nothing to fear.
"As part of my role as mayor I am in regular contact with the safer neighbourhood team and the wider police force."
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who has any information, is asked to contact Suffolk Police quoting CAD 218 of today, July 4.