Murder probe launched after woman in 20s dies in Colchester
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman in her 20s was found dead in Colchester.
Detectives were called to an address in Laing Road, Greenstead, at around 5.35am on Sunday, January 17, where a woman was found unresponsive inside the property.
The victim, a woman in her 20s, was later pronounced dead at the scene despite the best efforts of paramedics.
A 21-year-old local man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
It is believed that the parties involved were known to each other, and police say they are not looking for anyone else at this time.
Julie Young, Colchester Borough Council deputy leader and councillor for Greenstead, said it was "terribly sad news" and marked the third serious incident in Greenstead inside six months.
Linda Franklin, 39, died after being struck by a Ford Escort in Avon Way at around 6pm on Thursday, August 27, 2020.
- 1 US investors 'on verge' of buying Ipswich Town and appointing Paul Cook as manager
- 2 The Ipswich pubs preparing to reopen beer gardens on April 12
- 3 'Industrial scale' fly-tipping at Suffolk beauty spot
- 4 Patio doors smashed during house raid
- 5 Murder investigation into death of woman at Ipswich flat dropped
- 6 Are you in our photos from Ipswich nightspot Brannigans in 2003?
- 7 Calls go 'through the roof' at Ipswich hair salon after lockdown lifting news
- 8 New cafe at popular Suffolk beauty spot
- 9 Elderly man jailed for historic sex crimes against young girls
- 10 Grieving family's distress after NHS asks for compensation to be paid back
A 23-year-old man was subsequently charged with causing death by dangerous driving in connection with the incident.
While on Friday, December 11 last year, 22-year-old Alinjavwa Siwale, from Colchester, was the victim of a fatal stabbing.
Two men, Sheldon McKay, 25, of no fixed address, and Phoenix Lee, 19, of no fixed address, have been charged with murder. Both will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court on April 12.
"That part of Greenstead has seen three significant events in probably the last six months," Mrs Young said.
"These incidents all involved young people, which is a tragedy. You don't expect your relatives to meet the end of their lives in their 20s or 30s. They've got their whole lives ahead of them.
"I want to convey my condolences to the family of the bereaved, and offer my support. If I can be of any help then please get in touch with me.
"It's not a good thing, especially at this time of Covid, when we're all supposed to be looking out for one another and we've had the third incident in a relatively short space of time.
"It's terribly sad news from my perspective."
If you have any information about this incident please call Essex Police's Major Crime Team on 101 and quote incident number 193 of 17 January.
Alternatively, if you would prefer to remain anonymous, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.