Crime commissioner's congratulations as 83 suspected stolen dogs recovered
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk's police and crime commissioner has congratulated officers involved in a raid which saw more than 80 suspected stolen dogs seized.
Officers investigating a spate of dog thefts executed a number of warrants at West Meadows travellers' site in Ipswich on Saturday and recovered 83 dogs of various breeds and ages.
Six people - three men and three women, all from Ipswich - were also arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to steal and have been released on bail until April 16.
Tim Passmore, the county's police and crime commissioner, who recently supported a national dog theft survey, said: "I'd like to congratulate all the officers and the partner agencies involved in this successful operation.
“Dog theft is a particularly cruel crime and I think the sentencing guidelines are in urgent need of review to ensure the thieves, when caught, receive a stiff sentence which will act as a deterrent for other criminals."
He added: “A pet dog is a member of the family, and as a dog-owner myself, I can understand how very distressing this crime is for both owner and pet.
“We all need to make sure we do everything possible to report suspicious circumstances to the police. I would encourage all dog owners to keep their pets safe and take a look at the constabulary website for advice.
"Please remember if your dog is lost and suspected stolen, it is important to report it as quickly as you can.”
- 1 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 2 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 3 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 4 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 5 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 6 Covid infections mapped: Just 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 8 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 9 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 10 Ipswich mum's 100-mile walk to raise miscarriage funds and awareness