Man who died after attack at Ipswich guest house named as Steven Povey
- Credit: Archant
The man who died after an attack at an Ipswich guest house has been named as Steven Povey.
Mr Povey's name was revealed at Ipswich Crown Court as Warren Atkinson, of Norwich Road, Ipswich, appeared before a judge charged with murder in relation to the incident on July 9.
Several emergency crews were spotted in Norwich Road just before 5pm on Friday following reports of an assault at Beaumont Guest House, opposite Glyn Hopkin Nissan and Tesco.
Mr Povey, who was aged in his 30s, was treated at the scene but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Prosecutor John Caudle told the court that a preliminary post-mortem examination found that Mr Povey after suffering head injuries and a fractured larynx.
Atkinson was arrested at the scene of the incident on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
He was subsequently further arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to Martlesham police investigation centre.
Judge Martyn Levett remanded Atkinson in custody and adjourned the case for a further case management hearing on October 11, when he is expected to enter a plea to the murder charge.
A provisional date for a trial, which could last up to three weeks, was booked for February 28 or March 7.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
No application for bail was made by Atkinson’s barrister, Christopher Paxton QC.