Man who died after attack at Ipswich guest house named as Steven Povey
- Credit: Archant
The man who died after an attack at an Ipswich guest house has been named as Steven Povey.
Mr Povey's name was revealed at Ipswich Crown Court as Warren Atkinson, of Norwich Road, Ipswich, appeared before a judge charged with murder in relation to the incident on July 9.
Several emergency crews were spotted in Norwich Road just before 5pm on Friday following reports of an assault at Beaumont Guest House, opposite Glyn Hopkin Nissan and Tesco.
Mr Povey, who was aged in his 30s, was treated at the scene but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Prosecutor John Caudle told the court that a preliminary post-mortem examination found that Mr Povey after suffering head injuries and a fractured larynx.
Atkinson was arrested at the scene of the incident on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
He was subsequently further arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to Martlesham police investigation centre.
Judge Martyn Levett remanded Atkinson in custody and adjourned the case for a further case management hearing on October 11, when he is expected to enter a plea to the murder charge.
A provisional date for a trial, which could last up to three weeks, was booked for February 28 or March 7.
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 5 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 6 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 7 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 8 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 9 24-year-old man banned from driving for three years
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
No application for bail was made by Atkinson’s barrister, Christopher Paxton QC.