Crowfield garage owner dances his way to rumba victory in Blackpool competition
- Credit: Archant
Jim Davey, who owns Evergreen Garage, Crowfield with his brother Tony, took home two trophies in the Blackpool Grand Finals 2015, held at the prestigious Blackpool Winter Gardens earlier this month.
Mr Davey came in first place for his rumba in the over 65s category, and took second for his tango at the competition on November 1.
Helping him secure the trophies was his dance partner of two years Jemma Girling, from The Lait Dance Club, in Clarkson Street, Ipswich.
Speaking last week, Mr Davey, who has been dancing for 20 years, said: “Everybody had been pushing me to do it.
“I didn’t start doing competitions until about five years ago.
“It was a completely different ballgame than what I was used to. There was about 2,000 people in a big ballroom.
“I hope to do more ballroom competitions next year.”
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 4 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 5 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 6 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 7 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 8 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 9 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 10 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
Mr Davey said his favourite dances were the Vienese Waltz and the jive, preferring quick-paced routines, and added that he keeps fit for his dancing by attending the gym at least once a week, as well as at least one dance class.
When asked how he felt when he won the two trophies, he said: “It was a bit of a shock because I was very, very nervous.
“My granddaughter came with me and she just burst into tears.
“I am always a little nervous, but I knew I had to set a good example and I had to make it 100% and it all paid off in the end.
“Jemma really was a great help, and the Lait Dance Club.”