Cuban dancers hot foot it to Ipswich
CUBA'S top dancers are set to perform a premiere of a piece of work in Suffolk tomorrow.DanceEast, the national dance organisation for the East of England, is presenting the European premiere of a performance by Cuba's leading contemporary dance company, Danza Contemporánea de Cuba, for a one-off UK event.
CUBA'S top dancers are set to perform a premiere of a piece of work in Suffolk tomorrow.
DanceEast, the national dance organisation for the East of England, is presenting the European premiere of a performance by Cuba's leading contemporary dance company, Danza Contemporánea de Cuba, for a one-off UK event.
Award-winning choreographer, Rafael Bonachela, was commissioned by Dance East to go to Cuba to work with the dancers, and their resulting collaboration, Demo_n/crazy, premiered in Havana last year.
Tomorrow and Saturday will be the dancers' first visit to Suffolk.
Over the past two years, Dance East has developed strong links with Cuba and the organisation decided to set up the project as the dancers were lacking exposure to choreographer.
Assis Carreiro, director of DanceEast, said: “These dancers are gorgeously athletic and passionate. They will bring some hot Cuban sunshine to Ipswich and are sure to set temperatures rising with their powerful performances.”
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 5 Road near Ipswich town centre closed after crash involving motorcyclist
- 6 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 9 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 10 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
Bonachela will also give a free pre-performance talk describing his time in Cuba working with these incredible dancers at 6.30pm on Saturday. Tickets are free but must be booked in advance.
The show will take place at Snape Maltings Concert Hall tomorrow and Saturday at 7.30pm.